Life is based on decisions. I choose to be happy or unhappy. I either get upset by events or decide to see the positive side in them. I decide either to move on, or keep thinking about yesterday’s problems.
Greatness and happiness, like anything else, are attitudes born from a decision. When we do not know the power we have to shape our lives, this decision is unconscious, we just fall prey to our impulses and respond according to them. But If we take control of our lives through our true inner power, not the illusion of power that comes from material possessions and our roles in this world, then greatness and success are the result not of habit and fate but the result of an attitude of greatness and success.
And this attitude stems from the decision to stop blaming the world for our limitations and problems and start taking responsibility of what was always ours: our destiny.
- They were rejected by Decca Recording Co., who said: “We do not like their sound, and guitar music is no longer used” … The Beatles.
- Banned from his basketball team in college, he went home, locked himself in his room and cried… Michael Jordan.
- A teacher told him he was too stupid to learn anything… Thomas Edison.
- Fired from the newspaper he worked at, for his “lack of imagination” and for not having “original ideas” … Walt Disney.
- His fiancée died, failed twice in the business world, suffered a nervous breakdown and was defeated in 8 presidential elections … Abraham Lincoln.
- She suffered by a man who broke her heart and self-esteem. She then won all the Grammys in 2012 and today enchants millions with songs describing her torments… the wonderful Adele.
Get the picture? If you’ve never failed, if you have never suffered any pain, any defeat … you’ve never lived. Remember this: defeats, heartaches, pain and suffering … they are the true raw material of Creation.
“I’m like the wheat grain who faces three futures. It can be put in a bag and thrown into a pigsty to feed the pigs. Or it can be ground into flour and then bread. Or it can be sown in the earth to grow until its golden spikes produce one thousand grains. But there is one difference. I have the power of choice and will not allow my life to be food for pigs or let be ground under the rocks of failure and despair, and broken, be devoured by the will of others.
My failure, my despair, my ignorance, and my inabilities are the darkness in which I have been planted to grow. I need not wait because I have the power to choose my own destiny.
But like the grain of wheat that will spring up and bear fruit only if it is nourished by the rain, sun and warm winds, I too must nurture my body and mind to fulfill my dreams.”
Og Mandino, “The Greatest Salesman in the World”
There is no better education than defeat, because it is it from defeat that we take the most important conclusions, that we learn. A famous saying tells us that “it’s not about how many times you fall, but how many times get up.”
Og Mandino also reminds us that “happiness may not be the fruit plucked by our actions today. However, without action all fruit will die on its stem.”
So you already know. Dare, take charge of your life, act and learn from the consequences of your actions, be they good or bad. But always remember that there is no such thing as “good” or “bad”. Those are only subjective categories that each one decides to give to what simply… IS.